Obtaining citizenship can be a daunting process. However, it is also an exciting and important step in building your new life in the US. Our women-led team of diverse attorneys at Airington Law can guide you through the legal process to citizenship.
We will treat you like family, and we will provide the compassionate and client-focused counsel you need to feel confident and comfortable. We also offer bilingual Spanish services. Let’s work on your citizenship or naturalization case together.
Schedule a consultation with Airington Law to get started. Spanish services available.
Who Can Obtain Citizenship Through Naturalization?
Naturalization is the legal process by which US citizenship is granted to a lawful permanent resident after meeting certain requirements established in the Immigration and Nationality Act. The general eligibility requirements specify that you must:
- be 18 years of age or older;
- be a lawfully admitted permanent resident of the United States;
- have resided in the United States as a lawful permanent resident for at least 5 years;
- have been physically present in the US for at least 30 months;
- be a person of good moral character;
- be able to speak, read, write and understand the English language;
- have an understanding of the fundamentals of the history, principles, and form of government, of the US;
- demonstrate attachment to the principles of the Constitution and be well-disposed to the good order and happiness of the US; and,
- be willing and able to take the Oath of Allegiance.
The INA allows certain children under the age of 18 to acquire US citizenship, and an attorney can better help you determine whether your situation applies.
Airington Law is a boutique criminal defense and immigration law firm committed to providing justice and high quality legal advice to our clients. Our trusted and passionate lawyers will treat your case with the knowledge, time and care it deserves. Contact our team to learn how we can help, we have been serving clients throughout Virginia since 2009.
To commence the naturalization process, you should file the Application for Naturalization (Form N-400). You will need to include several documents with your application, including your green card (permanent resident card), your marriage certificate if you are married to a US citizen, your arrest record, and other identifying forms.
After filing and submitting your initial application form, the process will generally follow these steps:
- Attend your biometrics appointment, if the USCIS has required you to go to an appointment.
- Complete an interview with the USCIS.
- Receive one of three decisions from the USCIS about your application – (1) granted: you are eligible for naturalization; (2) continued: you may be asked to provide additional evidence/documentation, or you may have to redo the process if you failed the English or civics test; (3) denied: you are not eligible for naturalization based on the evidence in your record.
- Receive a notice to take the Oath of Allegiance in a naturalization ceremony.
- Take the Oath of Allegiance and complete the notice form (N-445), as well as turn in your green card.
- Receive your Certificate of Naturalization.
It is very important that you fill out the initial naturalization application appropriately because this and the documents you provide will largely impact the success of your petition. An experienced naturalization lawyer can better help you build a strong case for citizenship with your application, as well as address any technical questions you have throughout the whole naturalization process.
Our attorneys at Airington Law understand how stressful such an important process in your life might be. While the legal field is often dominated by impersonal and aggressive advocates, our diverse, women-led team aims to provide a uniquely compassionate hand as we focus on customer satisfaction in our practice. We will walk you patiently through the naturalization process and help you on your path to citizenship. We also offer bilingual Spanish services, as language should not be a barrier to your right to legal representation.
Contact our compassionate lawyers at Airington Law online for an initial consultation to learn more. Se habla español.
“Overall an excellent experience with all the employees . They made everything so simple, kept me updated, and very responsive to my emails. At the time I was living in FL and handled my case without needing me to go their office in VA.”- Rocio R.
“I trust them 100% since day one, they’ve been excellent on every aspect and they focus on every detail of your case. I will always recommend Airington Law team.- Luis M.
“Had an amazing experience with this company! Mariam is a great. Stays connected & actually cares about her clients.”- Daijah M.
“Hiring Airington Law to represent me was the best decision I made. They are extremely thorough, professional, and guided me every step of the way.”- J. S.
“If you’re looking for representation, this is the office for you. I am ever so grateful for Airington Law. The stress of going through immigration and the difficulties faced I ensure you this team is able to leave you stress free and in good hands.”- Shania M.